Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy Birthday - To Me!

This past weekend I left my 20's behind and headed into the unknown (and sometimes dreaded) 30's.

As you might have guessed, I am not the type of woman who gets depressed because their life isn't what they had envisioned it being when they hit the big 3-oh. I'll admit, when I was much, much younger I had thought that I would marry around age 27 and probably begin a family when I was around 30. However, as the old adage goes "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans". Those words have never been more true!

Instead of getting married, I flew the coop and headed west for one of the biggest adventures of my life. There was an abundance of travel, laughter, tears, friends made and relationships lost along the way but through it all I realize that I am simply evolving into a better version of myself. And I like it!

A dear friend of mine and I were at church when the pastor was talking about two different types of people: those who love the journey and those who just want to get to the destination. When he said that we looked at each other and laughed knowing that we were the textbook examples of each. She was the destination type and I was the journey. I sincerely doubt that surprises anyone who knows me. Some of my best friends say that I am the true definition of a "free spirit".

I've managed to cram a lot of crap into the past 30 years and I can't wait to see what is yet to come. I'm living life, enjoying the journey and loving every minute of it.

After all, 30 is the new 20....right?!

2 comments:

Nonblond said...

30 IS the new 20. I'm sure your 30's will be awesome. Keep enjoying the journey. Life truly is an adventure!

ohchicken said...

happy happy berfday! i'm sorry my wishes are so belated!

i think of you often and miss our adventures together. soon, we must do it up big with beers and billiards. what say you?