Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Roof Is On Fire!

This evening marks the second time that the HB Fire Department has been called to put out a house fire within a block of where I live. The first time was about 6 months ago and the house was only 3 doors down. This time it was about 6 houses away - still a bit too close for comfort.

So about an hour after I hear the sirens, I hopped in my car to head to my class. When I pulled out of the alley I realized that the fire department and police officers had blocked off the entire street and in order for me to get out the cop had to lower the "Police Do Not Cross" line. It was a strange feeling and now I know what my mom & dad felt when that happened to them. Thankfully mine was only for a fire. They, on the other hand, were police ordered to stay on the pier after a high speed chase ended with a guy shooting himself. Welcome to California!

Now for the Public Service Announcement: Please check the batteries in your fire alarms! I did that a few weeks ago (thinking that was done before I moved in) and to my surprise, there wasn't even a battery in the alarm! Thank God I didn't need it within the last 10 months...

1 comment:

Nonblond said...

Never a dull moment out there, huh? :)