Monday, July 02, 2007

How Old Is Too Old?

"Age is an issue of mind over matter.

If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

~Mark Twain



The question of "how old is too old" has been haunting me lately. A few weeks ago I found myself attacted to a man who was around 40 and it got me thinking about the issue of age and relationships. Is 40 years old too old for a 28 year old? Would that qualify me as the "mid-life crisis girl"?

Oddly enough, as I was flipping through the TV channels tonight I ran across a show called "Age of Love". The plot of the show is to have a single man in his 30's decide who would be a better partner - a girl in her 20's or a woman in her 40's - the kittens vs. the cougars.

As you may have guessed, I was sucked in and had to watch the show. It was amazing to see the difference between the two age groups. The 40's were confident, mature and fun. The 20's, on the other hand, were the exact opposite: jealous, insecure and surprisingly boring. Now I understand that this could all be the work of the show producers and editors but I think that the concept is fascinating. Especially since I've been wresting with the issue of age myself.

What do you guys think...does age really matter?

7 comments:

Vixen said...

I find your assessment of women in their 20's vs. 40's is exactly right since I am 35 now and have experienced said changes in my own personality.

However, in my experience, my ex-husband was 8 years older than me and yes in the long run age did make a difference. You have more in common with someone your own age and can talk about when you were "kids" and actually be talking about the same time period let alone decade.

I don't think all older men have the mid-life crisis thing going on, I think it's just who they may or may not be attracted to. In the long run if you click, you click no matter what age anyone is. :)

Vixen said...

PS - 40 isn't "old" LOL :)

Vixen said...

PSS - You have an award to pick up on my blog.

Crazy Me said...

I found you from Vixen's blog. Just wanted to say hi. I watched that show too ... and as a 29G year old, I'm sooooo glad I'm not still in my 20's!

GJ said...

My husband is eight years younger than me. It doesn't matter to us one bit.

Nonblond said...

I really think it's more about how you are with that particular person in question, than age in general. I'm 36, but I don't feel it, but I know people who are younger than me, but act and seem much older. On the flip side, I know people older than me who seem much younger. I think the older I get, the less I think or worry about age. I'm sure there are extremes where it just wouldn't work, but I wouldn't limit myself by excluding someone in a particular age bracket--especially if you feel there might be an attraction...

Anonymous said...

age ain't nothin but a bunch of numbers. :)

my parents were 10 years apart, and fine with it.

it's only been in the last 30-40 years that most people married someone of the same age. it was always the norm to be the 18 year old girl marrying the 40 year old man. (yeesh.)

xo

this little trick always helped me when i was single: if he smells like an old person, he's too old.