Saturday, May 20, 2006

Drive By Pick-Ups

Is there a new dating phenomenon that I am unaware of? I am speaking of what I'll refer to as "drive by pick ups". Let me explain...

About three weeks ago I was driving on the interstate (or freeway as Californians call it) when I saw this white Mustang pass me. All of the sudden, I see the car slow down and begin to drive at the exact same speed that I was going. Most of you know this drill, you slow down and they slow down. You speed up and then they speed up to stay right beside you. I HATE it when people do that! I finally look over at the car, ready to shoot them the "what the hell are you doing" look when I see what is going on. It's a car with two guys in it, probably in their early 20's, holding a sign up to the window that says "You're hot". Of course, this makes me laugh but I drive on and try to avoid looking at them. A couple of miles later, I glance over to see what is going on and they have put up a new note that says "Call me". Then, he flips the page over and writes his phone number on it. I shake my head "no" and point to my headset to show that I am on the phone. They flip the page and write "Please". Again, I point to the headset and shake my head no. They make the 'hang up the phone and call me' motions and I mouth "sorry" hoping this would be the end of it. The guy writes me one last note that simply states "Damn". Realizing that I was not going to call, they wave goodbye and speed up. I thought it was hilarious.

Now, judging from the area code of the phone number, these guys were from about 5 hours North of where we were. I'm guessing they were bored so they started to make a game of getting girls to call them. At any rate, it got me wondering how many women do you suppose called them? Do you think they had a high success ratio? Would you have called them?

My next run in happened just yesterday when I was stopped at a red light. The guy in the car next to me honked several times to get my attention and when I looked over he waved. I waved back just to be nice and then he makes the "roll down your window" gesture. I, of course, did not and when the light turned to green I sped away.

Is is just me or does all of this seem a bit strange? I'm curious to know, how would you react to the "drive by pick-up"?

No comments: