Monday, April 09, 2007

My Easter Weekend

Have you ever wondered what kind of trip you can plan over a three day weekend? With less than one weeks notice, this is what I came up with....

Day 1: The Tulip Festival in northern Washington.

It's the perfect time of year to see the flowers in bloom and I was blown away by how beautiful it was. Imagine staring at acres full of tulips stretching out as far as the eye can see. It was just gorgeous and this photo does not do it justice.

On a side note - I think that tulips are my new favorite flower!

Day 2: Drive to Vancouver, BC and walk across The Capilano Suspension Bridge .
Built in 1889, the bridge is a whopping 230 ft above the Capilano River and 450 ft long. Did I mention that it sways, shakes and moves while you are walking across it? I am not going to lie - I was scared as all get out my first time across! Of course, I was on it when this 18 year old jackass grabbed both rails and started shaking it back and forth...at that point I thought I was going to have to start crawling to the other side. Luckily, a nice lady on the intercom told him to stop and I walked the rest of the way.


Once on the other side of the bridge they had signs directing you to the "treetop adventure". It's a shorter series of 6 bridges that run between several trees to give you a "squirrels eye view" of the forest. The short bridges were neat but more importantly I used them as practice before my final run across the big one.

On my last walk across the 'big one' I discovered that the fewer amount of people on the bridge; the more stable it is. Therefore, I waited for it to clear out before I went across. Because it was less shaky, I was able to stand in the middle of the bridge and snap some photos and admire the view for a bit without white knuckling the railing! Here is a straight shot down to the river blow - yikes! I stayed the night in Vancouver and the next morning headed to the Granville Island Public Market. It was my first time at such a large public market and I loved it - it made me wish that I had one closer to where I live!

Vancouver was great and I definitely need to go back and spend some more time there. There are a million bridges that connect different parts of the city and here is one of them:

I thought these birds were cool - not to mention there were about 200 of them.

Day 3: Drive to Seattle. I got a late start because I spent so much time on Granville Island that I got into Seattle around 6pm. After checking into my hotel I walked down to Pike Place Market. I wanted to see the guys throwing fish but unfortunately almost all the vendors had shut down. Here is a photo that I shot later on in the evening.

My next stop was the Space Needle. I got there as the sun was setting and it was fun just messing around with my camera to see what kind of photos I could get. I think that this one is kind of interesting:


It was surprisingly more difficult that I imagined trying to take photos that wouldn't come out blurry. The later in the evening that it got, the more the wind picked up and the building began to sway. Not good for trying to get decent shots.

And from the bottom up:


When it was all said and done I came home with nearly 500 photos to sort through...which is just crazy but wonderful at the same time. I loved having the time just to screw around and get creative with my camera again.

I also realized that I can now mark Washington off my list of "states to see". That makes 39 down and only 11 more to go. They are:

*Alaska *Oregon *Montana *Idaho *Utah *Wyoming *Rhode Island *Vermont *New Hampshire *Maine *Louisiana

Anyone up for an adventure?

6 comments:

Vixen said...

What another amazing trip! :) Those tulips go on forever and I love the pic from the top of the space needle!

I recommend going to Stowe Vermont for Skiing. It is a great town! I'm also going to try to see something in each state, but I have alot more to get through than you do!

Great Trip Post!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Cool pictures and by the sound of it you had a great time. :D

GJ said...

Let's just say.......I've been to Maine.

Also - those tulips! gorgeous!

Unknown said...

The tricks of the Ether; the first attempt disappeared in the stroke of a 'control/e'; the second was never seen again; and the third has not appeared. Maybe you have a veto on comments, but here is my latest attempt, written in Word and saved, so its disappearance will not be so traumatic.
Hello EB, alan@stonehenge here again.
I have looked in from time to time to read the rest of your trip to Albion from the Colonies. What a pleasant surprise, as you are an inveterate traveller with a cast-iron constitution, as the bridge-swinging incident confirms. (Next time, grab the evil perpetrator by his pockets to steady yourself and time his car keys from the swaying bridge to the bottom of the 230 foot drop.)
The mysterious arch in your pics is very famous and is adjacent to Horseguards Parade, where the full Changing of the Guard takes place. The Arch is Admiralty Arch. (http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/
london_photos/Admiralty_arch
_london.htm)
The refresh of my website moves along apace and when ready, will have a separate section on Avebury (http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/
avebury.htm) a must on your next visit (or your friends’)
It occurs to me that if you would like your blog seen by at least the World (2000 unique sites per day; 6000 page hits), I could place a link for you from Stonehenge. Let me know on my email at the address at the top, but add .co.uk.
When you have done that and popped in for a cup of tea, remember that Amélie would have made it a quest to find the cheeky man who declared his love for you and interrupted his tv viewing or worse…paid the Scottish piper to play, all night, outside his bedroom window for a month.
This text may now fly into the ether and be lost. What a shame. If you get them all, so be it.
Lots of love, Alan x

Unknown said...

Hurrah!! A x

Nonblond said...

Glad to hear you had such a great trip and thank you for posting the photos. I love hearing about your adventures!