Saturday, February 03, 2007

Score: Nicole - 1 Men - 0

The only part that sucks about being a good friend is that you get roped into doing stuff that is not fun. It happens to all of us and we dread hearing those words "can you help me move"? Ugh. Well, today was my day to be a good friend and load up a truck heading to the East coast. Thank God there weren't any stairs...

After spending the morning packing up the Uhaul, it was time to attach the car trailer to the truck. This was, simply stated, one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. My dear friend made this big deal about the men hooking up the trailer. Naturally, I assumed that the men would know how to do it...oh how I was mistaken! They did manage to get the truck lined up with the trailer - kudos. After that it was similar to watching a monkey do a math problem.

Now, I am in no way an expert when it comes to attaching trailers, nor am I a big "girl power" kind of person. I was, however, gifted with a fair amount of common sense. Common sense told me that two men who work corporate jobs were not going to be able to strong arm a piece of metal that is refusing to budge. Something is obviously wrong and I couldn't take it anymore - I had to intervene. I called for backup. My brother owns a construction business and is well versed when it comes to all things mechanical - including trailers - score! After explaining our situation, he was able to walk me through the steps to fix the problem and properly attach the trailer. I was a happy girl.


What I didn't realize was how emasculating that was for the guys. Fellas, is it really that big of a deal!? One of the guys brought it up a couple of times so I would love some insight here.

All this made me think of the fine line between independence and dependence. I know that I am incredibly independent - almost to a fault. Over the years I think it's almost become a bit of a defense mechanism - if you don't rely on anyone else then you will never be disappointed. How did I get to this point? And why do I see dependence on others as a sign of weakness?

7 comments:

DigitalRich said...

EB-

May I point out that you had to call a man to get it fixed? That should offer some encouragement to your two corporate male friends.

:)

DigitalRich

The Eccentric Blonde said...

Great point...I wonder why they didn't pick up on that one!?!

Vixen said...

Who knows what men need to feed their ego's...

As far as being Independent - nothing wrong with it as long as your not building a wall around you so no one can get it...been there, done that. Found someone to break down the wall and I am so much happier for it coming down!

Anonymous said...

Found your blog via DigitalRich and am so glad I stopped by! I plan to read your other posts, great blend of humor, wisdom and self-deprecation.

I am very independent as well and feel very much the same as you: I see dependence as a weakness and I don't want to have to rely on anyone.

I agree with Pinky - don't build a wall! I know I've got one and am working on tearing it down. Yet another item on my Emotional Health To Do list.

The Eccentric Blonde said...

Hey Ms.Q - So glad you're enjoying all of my crazy little stories & adventures!

Thanks to you (& Pinky!) for the advice on not building up a wall - I don't think I have one yet but its certainly something that I need to watch out for...

GJ said...

I think you are more than fabulous and those boys are just scared. Or something. I'm also wildly independent and I still managed to let someone in. It can happen.

GJ said...

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new profile photo. It makes me want to ask you out.