Monday, August 21, 2006

Andy Warhol's Dream America

About a month ago I was at the San Diego Museum of Art and they had an exhibit for Andy Warhol's Dream America. I must admit that I was totally drawn in and intrigued by it all. The Marilyn Monroe print has always been a favorite of mine and is one of his most recognizable images:

While I was admiring this screen print, I leaned in to read a bit about it. Needless to say, I was floored when I read this:

"As the public is subjected to this constant stream of images, the effect is one of indifference to the original meaning and historical context associated with the depicted figures or events. Warhol capitalized on this effect, turning Marilyn Monroe into a permanent icon of sexuality, rather than a star whose life tragically ended in apparent suicide."

Isn't that so true?! When you look at this photo, what do you see? A glamorous star of days gone by or a suicidal woman?

Another quote that stuck with me was this:

"And your own life while it's happening to you never has any atmosphere until it's a memory." Andy Warhol, America, 1985

Interesting, isn't it?

1 comment:

Nonblond said...

That's very cool. You are getting to experience a lot of great things out there.